As part of my graduate obligations for a course in methods of measuring and monitoring plant populations, I had to do some type of course project. Though our instructor offered several options of varying difficulty, it was clear that he really wanted someone to attempt to produce a video outlining how to do a method.
As I had done a couple of videos for other projects in the past, I was fairly certain that this would be the most difficult of the graduate project options, but after exploring my other project options, I decided to attempt the video.
So over the last few days I’ve been writing a script, planning shots, doing on-site filming, editing, and voiceover work. Then more on-site filming, more editing and more voiceover work. After several hours of dedicated editing time, I’ve finished the video.
I think it’s pretty good. It’s not great, but it’s got potential. The main challenges were equipment related. It was windy on both filming days and I don’t have fancy microphones, so we had wind noise in some of the live action clips. Despite that I was using an HD video camera that I won at a conference, the video quality wasn’t as good as I’d expected, but it was the best method of filming the video with what we had available.
Anyway, the end-result is an 8 minute video that demonstrates how to sample vegetative cover using the point-intercept method. I briefly walk viewers through what cover is, why it’s commonly measured, and how to establish random sampling locations. Then I illustrate how to lay out a transect and how to sample points using a drop rod. I discuss how to record the data and finish with a demonstration of how the recorded data can be summarized in Excel. (There’s a mistake in that section, that I caught very late in my editing and didn’t want to tackle fixing as it would have required a new voiceover that took me four takes to do the first time. See if you can spot it).
If you’re curious you can find the video on You Tube at: http://youtu.be/NhcNjikpApg
Feel free to provide comments – as long as they’re positive 😉